APPLY NOW TO ATTEND »
- Middle School Teachers Workshop: June 24-28, 2013. Deadline to apply: June 7, 2013.
- High School Teachers Workshop: July 22-26, 2013. Deadline to apply: July 1, 2013.
• The workshops are FREE.
• 2.5 Illinois teacher continuing education units (CEUs) are available.
• 1.0 or 2.0 semester graduate credits are planned through Aurora University for a fee.
Download the workshop brochure (pdf) »
Why participate in an Argonne Sustainability Workshop?
The Sustainability Workshops for Middle School and High School Teachers help grow teachers' energy literacy so they can pass this knowledge on to their students.
Each 5-day workshop consists of seminars by scientists, discussions, tours, hands-on activities and group planning. During the workshop, participants will also prepare a teaching unit (including outline, lessons and artifacts) that they can use during the school year.
View the Middle School Workshop Agenda (pdf) »
View the High School Workshop Agenda (pdf) »
What do teachers gain from the workshops?
- Lesson plans that teachers create during the workshop, aligned to Next-Generation Science Standards
- Interaction with experts
- Content knowledge
- Numerous learning and teaching resources and activities
- A new understanding of sustainability topics and the confidence to teach them
- A network of teachers, scientists and engineers for ongoing growth in sustainability knowledge
- Current Energy Technologies
How is energy in today’s world generated, distributed, stored and used?
- Complexities of Alternative Energy Technologies
What are some of the roadblocks to implementing alternative energy technologies?
- Conserving Energy
How do we conserve energy resources in order to stabilize and/or reduce the effects of climate disruption and population growth?
- Conserving Natural Resources
How do we save our water, soil, minerals and air for future generations?
- Building Efficiency and Transportation
How can we design and plan our living spaces and transportation systems in an efficient, logical and aesthetic manner?
Apply to Attend
Middle School Teachers
To be eligible to attend, you must teach grades 6-8, hold a valid state teaching certificate for science, and teach with a 50 percent science or math class load. The workshop is limited to 20 teachers. Deadline to apply: June 7, 2013. APPLY NOW »
High School Teachers
To be eligible to attend, you must teach grades 9-12, hold a valid state teaching certificate for science, and teach with a 50 percent science or math class load. The workshop is limited to 20 teachers. Deadline to apply: July 1, 2013. APPLY NOW »
For more information, contact
Last update: March 20, 2013